Monday, February 20, 2012

TAR20, Recap Leg 0, 2/12/12

Welcome back to the Amazing Race! Miss me? I thought so. First off, we have some excellent new countries to visit this year, including Paraguay and Axerbaijan! We’re at eleven teams, so no monkey business from the producers, although I hear there are some new tasks and things in store for us, as always. And Toyouke is nearby to throw in her two cents. (Toyouke: “Season 20, huh. Jeez.”) The eleven teams are: (click for more)

Art and JJ, are friends and coworkers from California. Their profession? Bad asses. Also known as US Border Patrol. I bet my boyfriend has seen them on television at some point. (Toyouke: “Interesting. Although, why is everyone's strategy always to be underestimated? Why isn't your strategy "Be the fastest at everything"? Thank goodness JJ has a brain and thinks they should tell people what they do so that they can improve everyone's image of border agents.“) Plus any two men, no matter how old should be able to keep up with the young ones, for at least a little while. (Toyouke: “I feel like they'll probably give each other shit all the time but not have giant fights.”) True that. Prediction: Eighth Place.

Brendon and Rachel, are an engaged YDC from California. They know each other from Big Brother. (Toyouke: “Big Brother couple, we're not here to make friends, blah blah. Go away.”) I agree. And the Big Brother team is usually out in the first half. Prediction: Eleventh Place.

Dave and Cherie, are married parents from Florida. They list their occupation as “Ambassadors of Laughter,” also known as clowns. (Toyouke: “OK, let's get this out of the way right now. "Ambassador of Laughter" is not a job title. "Clown" is a job title. "Clown, Ringling Bros. Circus" is a job title. Ambassadors of Bullshit is more like it. They speak in unison, and it's maybe partially they've been married for 20 years, and partially they think it's cute. Your strategy should not include "other teams will underestimate us, so they will help us out a lot in order to go up against us in the final 3 because they think they can beat us easily". Survivor auditions are down the hall.”) Well stated. Prediction: Seventh Place.

Dave and Rachel, are a married couple from Madison, Wisconsin. Dave is an officer in the US Army. Rachel is his beauty queen-esque wife. Why do I get this sudden urge to wear my “Free Ron” button? (Toyouke: “All I can think of is FREE RON! I mean, he wasn't a POW and she seems much nicer. And their hook is that they're learning to be a couple again after he's been gone for so long. It's just that any time I see a military couple that's what I think of. “) But, they’re going to be pretty strong, by my estimate. Prediction: Third Place.

Elliot and Andrew, are hot boys. They also happen to be twins. And brothers. From the Southwest. The prerequisite eye candy. Oh, and Andrew is an Major League Soccer player. Brothers/Twins seem to do pretty well in this competition, especially if they can prevent themselves from being outwitted. (Toyouke: “It was nice of them to have one with long hair and one with short hair so you can tell them apart. "I think we'll go to many extents to win this Race." Sigh. Hey, at least they didn't say people would underestimate them.”) Prediction: Sixth Place.

Joey and Danny, have nicknames. That’s because they have Jersey Shore written all over them. They work for a fitness club and a promoter, respectively. And they are hot. We’re sure they aren’t just friends? (Toyouke: “I am not calling you "Fitness". Shut up. I don't watch Jersey Shore for a reason. Also, what people in the history of EVER have looked at two meatheads and thought "They're so dumb, they aren't any kind of threat"? Well, probably they thought the first part.”) And, not that I want to do this, but this kind of hot stupid tends to sadly do well. Prediction: Winners, TAR 20.

Kerri and Stacy, are cousins from Gulfport, Mississippi. They look spunky, and I’ve gotta love anyone who uses the word “loquacious” to describe themselves. (Toyouke: “I was fine, but then they called themselves "Double Trouble" and high-fived. Laughing at that nickname? Not a problem. High fiving? Ugh. Everyone always thinks they'll be underestimated. Whatever.”) I think they are going to give everyone a run for their money. Prediction: Second Place.

Mark and Bopper, are the friends from Kentucky. I think this is the third team they’ve cast from Kentucky for the sheer and simple reason that they are from Kentucky. (Toyouke: “Hicks! With accents! I love it. And I like that they are broke, but not saying "We deserve to win because we need the money." They're saying "We need the money, so don't get in our way." I think I like them, because I always like when people are devious and own it. Apologizing to the other teams for whatever you're going to do, because you know you're going to upset them but too bad because you want to win? It's a Boston Rob move and you know how much I love Boston Rob.”) So true. This is going to be a team to watch and be disappointed when they leave. Prediction: Fifth Place.

Misa and Maiya, are sisters from San Diego. They’re Asian! They’re wacky! (Toyouke: “So this team has actually made money hustling male golfers. As in, they have profited from being underestimated. I think this may be one of the very small number of teams that can claim that as a strategy. Also: MOLEY MOLEY MOLE OK I'm done now.”) Maiya is also a professional golfer, and apparently has already been on a reality show. That’s ok, she wasn’t on Big Brother. Prediction: Tenth Place.

Nary and Jamie, are friends and federal agents from Los Angeles. I enjoy how the producers don’t bother to put states anymore for big California cities. This could be one bad ass women’s team that could do very well. (Toyouke: “More law enforcement agents, huh? There are a good number of all-female teams this season. "People don't like cops, so we'll say we're teachers!" Sigh. “) Prediction: Fourth Place.

Vanessa and Ralph, are a YDC (?) from San Antonio, Texas. They remind me of Lori and Bolo for some reason. (Toyouke: “YDC, sort of? In that they're in their 30s and they've known each other for 15 years but only just started dating. Also the bio says Ralph owns a bar, and the video says he is a personal trainer. "I'm not here to make friends" Oh, there it is. I think at least one person has to say that in every season or they have to give back their Emmy for Best Reality Show.”) They aren’t goin g to be around long. Prediction: Ninth Place.

And there it is. Don’t forget to tune in Sunday, February 19 at 7:00 pm CDT for the hour premiere. See you with the first recap soon!

No comments: