Friday, August 21, 2026

Project Runway 8/20/26--"Battle of the Seasons" summary

 

Previously on “Project Runway”: Naheim won, for making paper towels look like denim. Elizabeth almost didn't go back out to the runway for critiques, but she did and then she was eliminated and got mad about being eliminated. Today's challenge is to make a red carpet look for Heidi for the premiere of “The Devil Wears Prada 2”. Whatever. Bryan won, even though his dress was terrible and people thought so before they knew it was from the show. For no reason, Bryan got to pick out who the bottom three designers were, and he chose Naheim (who had immunity), Bobby, and Jude. And then there was no cliffhanger! I know! Bobby was eliminated. (click for more)


For some reason this next challenge is “something never done before in Project Runway history.” They will “design together” against “some familiar faces.” Oh wait, I think I remember this section of the season preview. There are some shitty silhouettes at the end of the runway and then it's designers from last season. Ugh. I mean I love Ethan but also why. It's apparently Yuchen, Ethan, both twins (ugh), Belania, and Joan. Well at least Belania and Joan are here, to counteract Jesus and Antonio. They have a confessional, and first of all the haircuts are worse than last season, and second, they're all did you miss us? And I did not. Christian says, “Oh, God. I'm not gonna make it through.” Ha! Joseph of course is not OK. Bryan is also not amused but I agree with him on this one. Each season is a team, and the winning look gets $20,000. If this season's designers lose, someone will be eliminated. If they win, then no one is eliminated. Interesting. Oh and also it's unconventional materials. Oo a two day challenge too. Anna of course says she'd better win this one.


So the materials appear to be electronics. Motherboards, Christmas lights, “materials from bygone eras.” Old calculators. Cassette tapes. Joan is not having it. Luckily even though we've labeled them “houses”, the collections don't have to be cohesive. Not that they tend to be anyway, but at least we don't have to pretend. Ten minutes to grab shit. It's wild, of course, and Jude says people are moving so quickly he just has to grab shit and hope it's good. Season 21 is taking as much as they can carry, and Christian taunts this season about it.


So they're giving them like 40 minutes to sketch? Ethan thinks they are All-Stars, which they are not, but keep thinking that I guess. Season 22 all gathers at a little table for some reason, and Joseph is at his workstation alone. Bi makes some complaint that they're a team so they should act like a team, except for the part where Christian said your collection doesn't have to be cohesive so who cares? Joseph is still salty about how this season said he was the weakest designer. Oh Goddammit I just realized I went from only having 7 looks to describe, to 13. Last season has a bunch of fabric, those quilted moving blankets. I think Joan grabbed all of them. Naheim is really not impressed. Joseph is weaving a curtain? Out of Christmas lights. The twins decide to go talk to him, and he is not having it. I mean that's what he says in confessional, but then he's immediately gossiping about how everyone said he was the weakest. Jesus does admit that when they were asked the same question, they all said Veejay, so maybe Joseph has it all wrapped up. Joseph interviews this is the challenge he was voted out on.


Christian Time! We've got 6 ½ hours left for today, so it's pretty early on in the challenge. Bi has never done any unconventional materials. He wants to take all the keys off the computer keyboards, except he hasn't tried to take them off yet. It shouldn't be that hard? But he does take a hot second to pop keys off so that might be a problem. He also is doing that thing where you make a garment out of fabric and then cover it in unconventional materials. Also also, I feel like I've seen a dress covered in keyboard keys before? Bryan is weaving bubble wrap strips. Somehow this has become “a tech challenge” so Christian wants him to get some wires. Not just plastic. But he has immunity so whatever. Joseph's Christmas light weaving looks pretty impressive, but hopefully it won't look like tangled wires when he's done. I wish there was a way to get it to light up. Then Christian orders Joseph to help his team because he's the only one on that team who's done this before. Well, Anna, but he's got a point. In confessional a producer straight up asks him if he's going out of his way to help, and he says absolutely not, they do need help, but it's not going to be from him, because he's the weakest designer in the room. Damn. Anna has a good plan, but for no reason Christian tells her to be more colorful, since everyone is using gray and clear. OK but why didn't you give that critique to everyone, if they all have boring colors? Right? Jeffrey might be too drag. It's silver Mylar. I don't doubt you can find photos of drag queens in silver Mylar but it doesn't make me think “drag”, you know? Christian has also asked Jeffrey to get the team together, maybe because Joseph said “nah, fuck everyone”. But Jeffrey agrees to go help his team.


Last season. Joan does have the moving blankets but she at least is making patterns out of the cords and whatnot. Ethan has decided to make a collar out of fans, the small ones you put in your CPU. There's some good ideas here but I kind of feel like we spent way more time talking to this season's designers. Christian announces to the room that he has a guest: Nara Smith, model and “influencer”. She walks in, says she's hungry so let's chat. Well it's nice to see her demand the tea and ask hilarious questions. The twins are just as annoying as I remember.


After dinner Jeffrey calls a team meeting to I guess critique everyone. He says season 21 is kicking their asses right now. Lots of opinions, especially about Bryan's coat. I thought the challenge was phrased in such a way that the winning designer comes from the winning team, so as long as one of season 22 wins, they'll all be safe. But we are acting like the judges are comparing the teams and picking a winning team, then a winner from that team. I guess that's possible too. Bryan is persuaded to change his design. Joseph won't listen to advice, he won't talk to anyone and he basically goes outside to spray paint the wires as everyone else is inside talking. Naheim says Bryan is chopped too, not just Joseph.


Day Two. I think they have eight hours today. The twins think their season is amazing and already done. Anna has unspooled a bunch of cassette tapes and is hoping the brown will be the pop of color she wants.


Model fitting. Bi has spent all his time prying keyboard keys off keyboards, and all he has ready for his model is a top with a square of keys. Maybe a two-foot square? Nowhere near enough. Naheim appears to have some chain, arranged in a grid. That's it, nothing on the chain, no bra, nothing. Christian promises us Nina is finally back, holy shit, and she's not going to be happy with nudity. Jeffrey now has a chicken wire dress. Bryan started over too? Come on guys. Anyway, Bryan was planning to braid some wires but Jesus already had that idea and it's done, so Bryan is like “That's Forever 21 braid” which is funny but also not important? It's still braided wire? Joseph is in the sewing room, and for some reason Christian is hollering at him instead of going to find him. There is a lot of copying. Well season 21 says it's copying and season 22 doesn't think so. Antonio also thinks they are All-Stars, so I'm wondering if someone told them that to get them to show up. Jesus is in Jeffrey's business about how he should change what he's doing, and I'm not sure why they're so pressed. Just let him do it, who cares? Joseph is having the time of his life, because the twins have met their match in Jeffrey. True, I wouldn't cross Jeffrey. Also they low-key look like triplets. Heh. No, Jeffrey is calm so he is winning this.


With three hours left, Nicky Campbell shows up. Some kind of fashion commentator influencer or something. He has a microphone, which I can only assume is because he can't be normal and just talk to people. He doesn't really have anything of substance to say. Jeffrey is really being a team leader and doing things like asking if Bryan is ready to spray paint his dress and can they go do that now, he'll help. Honestly I thought Jeffrey was going to be a bunch of stupid drama like the twins but he's been really a good leader, he's great at encouraging people without out being condescending.


Runway Day. Liris is complaining that Bryan's design is terrible and it needs something else. So...he's got more plastic and tape. What is happening. Literally there are shots of everyone else standing still and just watching him. I don't think the models should get that much say in what they are wearing, unless they are the clients. Also Liris has been on this show for how long? She knows what she's signed up for. Anna has a whole top of cassette tape. Bi has managed to cover his whole dress in keys, and Christian is all “it's gorge, get out of the way” and brushes him away. Then he finds Bryan and tells him he can't tape his model in. I'm not sure if that's a hard and fast “you can't use tape to hold your garment together” rule or if it's just “you can't tape her in because it looks like shit”. OK so I think this tape/plastic/whatever thing is to go under the wires. So the wire thing they were being dumb about yesterday didn't have enough wires in it, so she was basically naked. OK if that was the complaint, then that's less annoying than “model thinks the design is bad”. Bryan is on the floor cutting wires at the hem as Christian is calling time. Naheim interviews that Bryan must have decided to screw all of them because he has immunity so he doesn't care if their team sucks.


I think Heidi is wearing a trash bag. She does confirm that the winning house will be the house with the overall best looks. FINALLY Nina is back today. And also Iman. Good. Jeffrey: it's a minidress made out of chicken wire, with a thick blue cable tacked to the front. It's just looped in circles, and it's only the one cable so it's not covering much. I think he put some kind of paper or maybe plastic like a bra and panties so she's not flashing everyone. Then there are zip ties everywhere, also in blue, like fringe or a fuzzy sweater. A lot of them at the top of the bodice. There is also some kind of collar but I'm not sure what's going on with that. The top of the bodice stands away from her chest. Naheim: a dress made out of chains, hung with iPods arranged in a grid. It's way more chains and iPods than it was earlier when it looked like she was basically naked. He maybe also took that silver Mylar that Jeffrey was going to use, and made a dress underneath the chains.


Anna: a very short skirt made of clear plastic, and a sleeveless top. The skirt I think is broken cassette tapes, the casings, and then the top is all of the tape itself, arranged in lines so it looks like chevrons. There are little cap sleeves and then I think she's put the tape on her shoes as well. She's also carrying a single intact cassette tape on a chain like a purse. I think she managed to put a zipper in the top. Jude: a skirt and bra, and the style of jacket where it's just two sleeves and the fabric across your shoulders, with a hole for your head, all in shades of blue and gray. The jacket and bra do look like fabric, so they are maybe plastic? Some kind of vinyl? The jacket has long wide sleeves that stick out past her hands and have big tabs. The skirt is a clear blue plastic, a miniskirt with an overskirt that isn't much longer. It looks like coat tails, like you'd see on a formal tuxedo, but in layers and ruffles.


Bryan: it's just a pile of cables spray painted bronze. I think he tied one loop around her chest, then tied everything to that and let it hang. But it's not even braided or anything, it's just a pile. Then there's a tight minidress that's sort of bronze but which I know is all plastic and tape. I think it's just there so she doesn't flash anyone, because the cables are not sewn together and I think he needs another layer to guarantee she won't flash anyone. The back looks like shit. Nothing sits right and there's a giant knot like he didn't know how to attach something. The minidress sticks up above the cords, I think because they're so heavy. Liris stumbles and you know Liris doesn't stumble. So I think she may have stepped on a cable. Joseph: knee-high boots made out of green circuitboards. Then another giant pile of cables. See this is why I wish they could have found a way for the Christmas lights to light up, because you can't tell that's what this is. It's so huge, like a big coat open to her belly button. But it does look like there is a collar. She's wearing a giant necklace that I think he may have made, maybe out of circuitboards? It's not bad actually.


Bi: sheath dress, sleeveless with a boatneck, that ends just above the knee. It's covered in keyboard keys, and from a distance it looks like a square print. But it doesn't look hurried, like he slapped stuff on there because he was out of time. Everything lines up. At the hem, he's made a fringe of zipties, but it's at least three layers so it's pretty solid. The whole back of the bodice is open with some lacing, and I have to say, I'm not sure what this lacing is, but it's perfect. Symmetrical.


Season 21. Antonio: it's basically metal parts strung together somehow so it's kind of a bathing suit. Like it covers the important parts but we're not even pretending to have a skirt. There are zip ties all over, just sticking out, and she's got a skullcap with more metal and more zip ties. Not sure how Jeffrey's chicken wire dress is copying this but whatever. Yuchen: it's a jacket and miniskirt that are covered in office supplies. Or computer parts. Or something. The skirt is all those flat cables that are like two inches wide, and they stick out at the side like a tail. There is also a Mohawk of zip ties and a headpiece made of a/v cables.


Ethan: it's basically a bodysuit, but I'm not sure there is fabric extending between her legs. The hem is all tabs, and I'm not sure what it's made out of. But it's cut too high to be called a skirt. There's one sleeve, more tabs, then around her neck the fans, but set on edge. So not pendants but tall like a ruff. The tabs are little pops of color. Down the arm is another row of fans. Joan: it's a short dress that I know has fabric, but you can't see any of it. She's taken the cords and coiled them to make big circles, then put those over her boobs and at her waist. Then big ruffles of a smoke-tinted plastic, surrounding each circle like petals. So one at one shoulder, and then on her hips too. Because it's a flat piece around each circle, the front kind of sits like an apron. When the model turns around you can see it's basically a plain straight skirt, there are no circles on the back.


Belania: a knee-length skirt and a bra top, made of plastic. There's also a length of plastic around her shoulders, like a tube across her chest and over her biceps. The skirt has cables arranged in a diamond pattern, then some kind of flat cable around her waist, and trimming the top piece. I think the bottom of the skirt is three or four rows of broken CDs, cut up in little pie shaped wedges and attached individually so they flutter when she walks. Jesus: a dress made of braided cables. So the top comes up to a point at her throat, then ties behind her neck. At her hips is a hoop, and then the cables hang down from there. Between the neckline and her hip, everything is braided so it doesn't look like a mess. It's multicolored but it looks on purpose. And the bottom of the skirt looks intentional. For sure if we're comparing this and Bryan's, this one is better.


Honestly a pretty good unconventional materials challenge. Belania, Antonio, Naheim, Jude, and Anna are all safe. I don't think Anna should have been safe, I liked her look. Jesus had good colors, they pop. Law thinks it looks like leather. Oh and also this is better than your work last year. Heidi asks who “started” it, because Bryan also has a dress made of cables. Jesus says he's always the first one done, and also Bryan had a different dress when they started work. Law asks Bryan if he was inspired, and he says “not quite” and then starts talking about how he's studying at Ecole Lesage in Paris and haute couture and how this is couture and not arts and crafts. Law finds this hysterical for some reason. Joan gets critique for putting two circles over the model's boobs, and then Iman doesn't think it's doing anything for her body. Also the back of it is so plain, the proportions are off. It needed to have something on the back. Heidi is obsessed with Yuchen's look, and it references something couture, but they all love it. I guess. Parts of Ethan's look is fine, but the fan necklace is a little scary. Nina thinks the hair looks Elizabethan (it's piled on top of her head in big curls, with cables looped through it), and maybe the rest of the outfit should have also been Elizabethan.


Bi points out that if you look at the top row of keys, it says “bitch please”. Heh. Then Law says “If I was a lesbian I would be falling in love with you.” ?????????? Law loves it, it looks like crocodile skin. The sides are some kind of flat plastic, maybe pieces of the keyboard housing, but not keyboard keys, and they look like scales. Nina throws her notecards in the air. No, Nina, I depend on you to be the professional! Iman says this is the human touch, AI eat your heart out. Jeffrey just gets “trash” as a critique from Law. They don't know what it was trying to say, and it's chaotic. Jeffrey says he was trying to be less costumey, so of course that's what they wanted from him this week. He also tells the judges he spent a lot of time helping his team. So Joseph's model is not going to come out, because it was apparently so heavy they can't make her stand there. Wow. But Law actually admits he loved it. The necklace is great, and it's structural and felt like an art piece. Bryan's look is also too heavy. Oof. He's trying to spin how he pivoted from his original idea, and he's really emphasizing how the cables are knotted by hand, as if there was some other way he could have done it? You tied them to the top of the bodice. It's not even braided. Jeffrey is pissed because Bryan has left out the part where the dress underneath the cables is tape and plastic. Nina just says everyone did everything by hand. And they knew Liris hated it. Yeah usually Liris can sell some bullshit but not today. Law says it's great he is training in Paris or whatever, but it's not showing up in the work so no one cares. Since Bryan got to talk about Jesus's look, Law lets Jesus talk, but he just says “no comment”. Smarter than last season. Bryan is so dumb he thinks his look is spectacular.


In the Scrap Bin, Jeffrey is pissed. He spent a lot of time helping people, and Bryan has immunity. So if season 22 loses, he's going home because he and Bryan were the only two from their season with negative critiques. Jeffrey is bitter that Bryan didn't admit Liris's dress is just tape, while everyone else had to sew something. I mean, true, but it wouldn't change anything because he still has immunity. Bryan is asking where this is coming from, instead of having an excuse or an answer. Oh, it's character assassination. I'm already over this fight. Joseph stands up for Jeffrey, saying if they lose, Jeffrey is going home, so he has a reason to feel this way. Bryan “said what [he] had to say,” which was not anything important. Joseph just starts going off on Bryan about how he is condescending and has a terrible way of going about things. Bryan's going to be one of those people who complains that the show edited him to look like a dick, when in fact he's already a dick. He's condescending here, even after being accused of being condescending, and honestly that bullshit about studying in Paris wasn't great either.


Back on the runway, Bryan is saying in confessional that his only critique was that Liris looked uncomfortable, which I find hard to believe. He doesn't think he should be in the bottom, but again, he has immunity so I don't see why he's so worked up about it. We do not even find out which house won before the show ends. Now, I did go onto Wikipedia to see if it has spoilers but it's been about 90 minutes since the show ended on the East coast and nothing.

No comments: