Sunday, September 24, 2023

TAR 35, Recap Leg 0, 9/20/23

 

Welcome back to the Amazing Race! It’s season number thirty-five. It has been a full year since the last time we’ve racearoundtheworld-ed, and in that time, two full TARs have been taped. Since there’s a strike going on, rather than air what was going to be TAR35, they took the next season (filmed this past June and July), gave it 90 minute episodes, and made THAT TAR35. In good news, airport drama is back! But charter flights will be back later since old TAR35 (now TAR36?) was still in COVID restrictions. All caught up? Good. Oh, and I brought Toyouke along for the snark. Aren’t you lucky? We’ve read the bios and watched the videos, so let’s get to this shall we? (Toyouke: “Why are the individual team bios on Parade.com this year? At least I can watch them for once.”) The thirteen teams (first time ever!) for TAR35 are (click for more):


Alexandra and Sheridan, Team Enginerd. They are siblings from Chicago. And engineers. They’ve got a good vibe, but definitely the nerd team. (Toyouke: “Their video said nothing about any kind of skill or good quality they are bringing to the table.”)  They could self destruct early, which is disappointing, because I could look at Sheridan for a while. (Toyouke: “Of course you could.”) Prediction: Ninth Place.


Andrea and Malaina, Team Philly Jawns. These best friends are from Philadelphia. Right off the bat, they are giving me Lyn & Karlyn from TAR10 vibes. They have good camaraderie, which might prevent them from screwing up a lot. (Toyouke: “I never trust a team that starts by saying, ‘We're not going to be the mean team,’ because either they are terribly mean, or they complain constantly that no one lets them win anything and it's not fair because they're so nice and they'd never do anything like that.”) And then there’s that. Prediction: Fifth Place.


Ashlie and Todd, Team Comeback Couple. They are a married couple from California, but I’m not certain what they would be coming back from. I already get the beauty queen vibe from Ashlie and I’m not ready for it. (Toyouke: “I decided based on an Instagram video with no sound that I didn't like them, and I was right. They're hateable and somehow also bland? They have "worked through" "marital problems" and now I have to know what that was and who cheated. It's gotta be cheating. Right?”) I don’t disagree. Also, Ashlie looks older than 38. Also also, getting Free Ron vibes, and not ready for that again. Prediction: Tenth Place.


Elizabeth and Iliana, Team Superfan. A mother and daughter team from Tampa. Mom was unable to get pregnant for a long time, and then Iliana came along. Mom is retired military, so that could help. (Toyouke: “They seem fine. I don't know.”) But they made fun of Rachel! (Toyouke: “Well, then, I approve.”) Mother/daughter teams don’t have great track records, but I like their chances. Prediction: Fourth Place.


Greg and John, Team Cat Dads. Brothers. Who are fit. But they live on opposite coasts so they don’t see each other much. (Toyouke: “They seem pretty fun and also competent. I liked how they suggested when they get along their parents will be proud of them.”) Heh. Fit boys always tend to do well. Prediction: Third Place.


Jocelyn and Victor, Team Retail Love. They are a married couple from New Mexico and are grocery store managers. They are also the oldest team on the race this season with both of them being 49. Which, based on previous oldest couples, is not that old. (Toyouke: “Obviously I love them, but also I think they're supposed to be the old married couple? At 49? Everyone will love them and then they'll get smoked in a footrace or something equally disappointing. Maybe they know how to drive stick shift and they'll make it pretty far.”) Yeah, this is a hard call, feels like Hung & Chee from TAR32. Prediction: Winners, TAR35.


Joe and Ian, Team EnGaygement. Gay boys from New York. As if we haven’t seen this before. They are fit and fun. They don’t seem to be interesting beyond that. (Toyouke: “OF COURSE they met at the gym. They're every generically attractive fit gay couple who talks about how they're opposites but they totally compliment each other so it's cute and not dysfunctional.”) I want them to be on my screens for a while, but I’m not hopeful. Prediction: Twelfth Place.


Joel and Garrett, Team Dad Bod. Best friends from Idaho. And although they look the oldest, they are actually my age. I think they are supposed to be the fun older guys. (Toyouke: “Meh, I’ve seen this team before.”) I’m hoping the Idaho helps with challenges. Prediction: Eighth Place.


Liam and Yeremi, Team Military Bros. Brothers who served in different branches of the military. They seem extremely capable and likeable. BTW, this is the same thing I said about the brothers who were in the military last season. (Toyouke: “OK first of all, points off for not naming your kid "Jeremy" like a normal person. Again, someone casually mentions some trauma but has zero details. Why was your relationship "fractured"? Because it sounds like they didn't speak until the younger one turned 18. It's so weird to sort of admit there's trauma but not use it for screen time. They'll probably do well.”) Prediction: Second Place.


Morgan and Lena, Team Business Sisters. Sisters, also on opposite coasts. They are kind of generic. (Toyouke: “I do like them, but they also seem carefully curated to be quirky and fun. The blondes of the season?”) Oh, maybe. We don’t have any actual teams of blondes this season. Prediction: Thirteenth Place.


Rob and Corey, Team ASL Family. Father and son from opposite coasts, and dad is deaf. So it’s hard not to see Margie & Luke all over again. But Corey is really nice to look at. (Toyouke: “They are supposed to be fans and there is no mention about how we've already had a deaf contestant. I'm also confused and vaguely offended by Corey's babbling that his dad will show people that ‘deaf people can raise their children’?”) Also, ASL is not used all around the world, so signing might not be the most effective communication method.  Prediction: Sixth Place.


Robbin and Chelsea, Team Cougar Mom. Childhood best friends and moms from Washington State. They are kind of badass, and I think could be one of our more successful mom teams. (Toyouke: “The deepest comment, ‘Robbin was my 7th grade bully’ is not the quirky statement you think it is? I'm a little put off by that?”) But they make fun of Charla and Mirna, so also a plus in our book. Prediction: Seventh Place.


Steve and Anna Leigh, Team Texas Heat. A father daughter team from Texas. Not a lot to say about them. (Toyouke: “Why are Texans so exhausting? Also ‘my husband hates that I call my dad for everything, hee!’ is...not cute? That's maybe an issue? I was about to ask if Texas counts as The South and then she screwed up "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" and now I'm mad.”) Prediction: Eleventh Place.



And there it is. Another crazy batch of “ordinary” contestants. Hopefully, you are able to tune in on Wednesday, September 27 at 8:30 pm CDT for the premiere! We’ll see you and the first recap then!


No comments: